Re: [OM] Miranda 28mm f2.8 MC macro

Subject: Re: [OM] Miranda 28mm f2.8 MC macro
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 12:08:24 GMT
I've seen Miranda-labeled lenses in various mounts other than Miranda's own, but have no idea whether Miranda actually made these or how good they are. The only Miranda lens I ever owned was the 50mm that came with my Sensorex, and it was a very good lens.

It's difficult to say which third-party manufacturers to avoid because they've all made some dogs. But even the generally canine Soligor was known to market some good lenses (I don't think they actually made any, just designed the specs for another maker - same as Vivitar).

Even weird and obscure off-brands aren't necessarily bad. I paid $15 for a Lentar preset (manual diaphragm requiring stop-down metering), and it's one of my favorites. I also have a pretty good 28mm f/2.8 "macro" with the CPC label, altho' I've seen identical lenses with other brand names.

How much is this Miranda 28mm? A gin-you-wine Zuiko 28mm doesn't cost that much.
Lex Jenkins
Hoist my petard!  Yoikes and away!! - Ur Amblet, 'The Very Bad Quarto'
From: mikeblayney@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 10:30:06 +0100

I've noticed this lens in my local store. It's cheaper than Zuiko so
presumeably inferior - but how inferior? Would I be better to stretch
my straining budget and wait for a Zuiko 28mm?