Re: [OM] Miranda 28mm f2.8 MC macro

Subject: Re: [OM] Miranda 28mm f2.8 MC macro
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 14:07:45 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000 mikeblayney@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I've noticed this lens in my local store. It's cheaper than Zuiko so
> presumeably inferior - but how inferior? Would I be better to stretch
> my straining budget and wait for a Zuiko 28mm?

You could always ask to shoot a few test frames before deciding.

> I wonder about the relative merits of other manufacturers OM lenses
> which regularly appear in dealer's used lists. Any general pointers
> would be welcome (i.e. manufacturer's to avoid etc.).

As a general principle, I'd say Tamron's are worth seeking out for 3
reasons.  Firstly, they're really quite good lenses, secondly, the
manual focus ones can be had for relatively little money, and thirdly,
with the adaptall 2 system you don't have to worry about what adaptor is
fitted because you can change it.  I recently acquired a 28/2.8 for
UKP13.50, and found an OM adaptall 2 for UKP14 (shurely shome mishtake?)
and before that a 135/2.5 that came with a Nikon mount.  A local camera
shop swapped the Nikon mount for an OM mount (I'm one of his regular
customers, mind).

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
| |   | |   | |             http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~cpian/          |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |