RE: [OM] Batteries

Subject: RE: [OM] Batteries
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 14:13:24 -0600
At 11:56 AM 9/29/2000 -0500, Chip Stratton wrote:
>I  wonder where this comes from. On the Duracell web page, they state their
>silver oxide button cells are "best suited for operation from -4°F to 130°F
>(-20°C to 54°C)"
>
>Now, a cell whose electrolyte is truly 'frozen' does not function, so if
>they aren't frozen at -4 deg  F I  doubt they are frozen at the +20 deg F of
>the typical home freezer.
>
>Can the colder temperatures within the technology's normal operating range
>cause some kind of electrolyte separation? I don't know - again I would like
>to see an authoritative source.

Me too, since the message I left is a distillation of what I've been told by
various people connected with battery manufacturers (mostly, but not only,
Varta).  If a particular battery maker states that a particular battery should
operate well within a range of temperatures, then I'd be willing to live with
that.  In general, though, I'd be tempted to *not* freeze a battery (the amount
of shelf-life gained seems insignificant compared to the potential for ruining
the battery).  Refrigeration, regardless of info source, has never been
indicated to me to be a problem.

Garth