Re: [OM] Re Oil on Aperture Blades

Subject: Re: [OM] Re Oil on Aperture Blades
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 21:12:59 GMT
That's the theory, and it appears to hold up. Moly particles have an affinity for metal. Supposedly only a powerful solvent like trichlorethane can dislodge it. I have moly in grease, suspended liquid and dry powder form. Generally use the powder, puffed into crevices with a needle. Work the surfaces together to settle it. Blow, brush or vacuum out the excess. Does wonders preventing galling of steel on steel. And unlike moly in grease or solvent carriers, there's no worries about effects on plastics.

This is one of those issues that tosses reasonable humans into fits of passion - lubricants and their proper application.
Lex Jenkins
Hoist my petard!  Yoikes and away!! - Ur Amblet, 'The Very Bad Quarto'
From: "Terry and Tracey" <foxcroft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 23:05:17 +1100

Dad used mlybdenum disulphide grease on piston is the navy. Smear it on the
bore, then remove it all. Apparantly, its microscopic components are so
small it fitted in the steel of the bore. So the piston wouldn't sieze on
the first stroke.

Dunno about aperture blades though.