Re: [OM] 3rd Party lenses (was Miranda 28mm f2.8 MC macro)

Subject: Re: [OM] 3rd Party lenses (was Miranda 28mm f2.8 MC macro)
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 04:24:42 GMT
The least expensive extra support is made by Slik for its U212 Deluxe tripod. It's a simple square-section telescoping aluminum tube that fits into a shoe on the tripod leg. The other end fits into the lens' tripod socket. Pop Photo used this rig in its tests a year or so ago to evaluate the influences of mirror lockup, etc., on resolution. (As I recall the device improved many photos, but not all - apparently due to harmonic vibrations induced by varying shutter speeds.)

Bogen/Manfrotto also has a similiar support that's considerably more expensive.

I've rigged a monopod beneath my only long lens that has a tripod socket for use with a teleconverter. Did it help? I dunno. It was steady. But the lens performed so poorly and vignetted so badly with the doubler I couldn't tell anything from the test. I'll try it again without the doubler.
Lex Jenkins
Hoist my petard!  Yoikes and away!! - Ur Amblet, 'The Very Bad Quarto'
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 10:36:11 +1100

I'm trying out a 300/5.6 Tamron SP with dedicated doubler...Unfortunately, the combination (600/11) had no tripod mount - it's not too
heavy but is looooong - was there any kind of support available?