Re: [OM] Olympus 2-4 and 2-13 Screens

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus 2-4 and 2-13 Screens
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 13:09:25 +0000
At 21:26 9/28/00 , John Hermanson wrote:
>I've heard from one list member that metering through the 2 series screens,
>while accurate with normal and wide focal lengths,  is not accurate as you
>get into the telephoto range.  Keep that in mind if you've had your meter
>recalibrated to these screens.
>Anyone feel like elaborating?
>
>John  Hermanson

Is this caveated that the phenomenon applies only to the OM-1[n] and OM-2[n]?

I don't think this happens with the OM-3[ti] and OM-4[T,ti] which meter
differently.  I replaced the 1-13 with a 2-13 screen in an OM-4 some time
ago, have a fair number of lenses from an 18mm through a 300mm, and have
never noticed any metering accuracy problems regardless of lens length
including using the 300mm with a 2X-A TC.  Cannot remember exactly which
way the OM-2S falls, but I believe it is like the OM-4 in this respect.

What I haven't seen mentioned yet is with the OM-2S, OM-3[ti] and OM-4[ti]
the viewfinders are slightly dimmer than the OM-1[n] and OM-2[n] because of
the half-silvered mirrors.  A 2-series screen made a big difference in the
OM-4.  OTOH I haven't found the need to replace the 2-series in the OM-1n;
it seems bright enough for me.

Having used just the matte are on both the 1-13 in the OM-1n and 2-13 in
the OM-4 for focusing a few macros, I believe it is easier to use the
1-series matte than the 2-series if you are not otherwise dealing with a
very low light and dim viewfinder situation.

One other effect I've noticed in dim lighting.  If you wear corrective
lenses and are not using some form of correction on the viewfinder, it is
inherently harder to focus in dimmer lighting than it is under bright
lighting; sometimes much harder.

-- John