Re: [OM] OM-1n flash sync problem

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-1n flash sync problem
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 13:10:32 -0500
K -

If you use a strobe flash with your camera set on "FP", the flash will
fire at the wrong time, and your photos will appear as if the flash
didn't fire at all.

The sync circuit of the OM-1n is polarized, meaning that the current to
trigger the flash must travel in the correct direction (this was done to
make the hot shoe "X" sync only).  Some flashes route the current the
opposite of the industry standard.  As a result, these flashes will not
operate reliably on some cameras.  (This is/was also a problem with
"studio"-type flashes, where the flash was attached to the camera via a
non-polarized "AC"- or wall-plug style cord, which could be plugged in
either way.)

The first step is to try another flash.  To check, remove the lens and
film from your camera, open the back, turn on the flash and attach it to
the camera (either shoe or PC plug - in either case, the flash should
_not_ fire as you attach it.  If it does, there's something wrong).
Now, with the shutter speed set on "60", fire the camera while looking
through the back at a darkend area (like under a desk, for example).
You should see light from the flash across the entire focal aperture
(the rectangle where the shutter opens).  If not, there's a malfunction,
and you'll need to have your camera serviced.

Just for fun (if it works OK), move the shutter speed dial to a faster
speed (125, 250, etc.) and fire the camera to see what happens when you
use a speed above "60" - you'll get light on only part of the photo!