Re: [OM] is this for reals or dbl exp/ps trickery?

Subject: Re: [OM] is this for reals or dbl exp/ps trickery?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 21:33:48 +0000
At 00:43 10/2/00 , Acer pondered:
>http://www.washingtonpost.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/AppLogic+FTContentServer?pagen
ame=gallery&galleryid=G30433-2000Aug15&nextstep=16&node=photo/topstory
>for starters, the new moon would have been visible in Au on sept 28 or 29
>second,  supposing this is the waxing crescent of the 30th or 1st oct, it
>is on the wrong side (starts out from right edge, to full to wane to left
>edge fade out)
>
>but then Au being on the wrong side of the earth (hehehe), you all
>aussizes might have everything reversed ;)
>
>/Acer V
>--

Yes, it's very credible.  The new moon was several days ago with it now
between the new moon and first quarter.  In the southern hemisphere the
moon is in the northern sky.  When it begins waxing it sets shortly after
sundown.  Thus, looking to the north, the crescent will be on the left, or
western side of the moon.  I suspect this was taken just before the moon
set in an approximately northwestern direction, and the photographer was
blessed with a very clear sky.

Take what you see Acer and imagine yourself on the other side of it, which
approximately what they see on the other side of the equator.

-- John