Re: [OM] What body and lens to buy?

Subject: Re: [OM] What body and lens to buy?
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 21:49:52 -0500
Cc: <zjdw25@xxxxxxxx>
David,

I'll jump in here (being the opinionated guy I am).  I own all the bodies
you've mentioned, and if it was me, I'd either start with the 2S or a beater
4 or preferably 4T.  The 2000 is an interesting body, but very few of the
accesories fit and it's not a 'real' Olympus, as it is made by Cosina. I own
one I bought cheap, but more for the interest factor, than as a body I use.

The 2S can be found for $200 or so. The 4 for $300 or so and the 4T for
under $400 for a well-worn example (I like worn ones as they're cheap and
I'm not afraid to use them).  If you go for a 4, make sure you or the seller
tries this test.  Flip the switch to battery test.  Wait 30 seconds or more.
If the beep stops, then it has the upgraded 4T circuit.  If it keeps
beeping, it is the original 4 circuit and getting pretty old. I've had
almost every 4 that wasn't upgraded fail in one way or another, even the
nicest ones.

As for the lens, you have many choices. Several people swear by the 1.2, but
for price performance, I wouldn't consider it. The 1.4 is an excellent lens
and, yes, you want a later MC one, preferably with a serial number greater
than 1,100,000.  You might want to also consider one of the later 50/1.8
lens, specifically one that says 'made in japan'.  It's by far the best
value, and let's you save your money for more lenses!  The 1.2 can be $200+.
The 1.4 can be found for $75 on ebay, with patience.  The 1.8 can be found
for $30 on ebay, again with patience.

Another favorite option is the 35-70/3.5-4.5.  They can be found for $125 or
so. There are lots of 35-70 versions, this is my favorite.  Don't be fooled
by the 35-70/3.5-4.8 though. It's a Cosina lens and not as good.

Be careful though, you'll find yourself spending every penny on more Zuiko!
This list is addictive....

Have fun,

Tom