Re: [OM] Compact camera with super-wide 21 mm lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Compact camera with super-wide 21 mm lens
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 14:17:00 -0700
Ricoh also has the R-1, which normally has a 30mm f/3.5 lens, but can be
put into "super panoramic mode" with a 24mm lens. I recently gave one to
my gal Susie to shoot downtown Chicago with. She came back with a few
heads and feet cut off, due strictly to a poor viewfinder with
intermittently disappearing bright frame lines. It exhibits some strong
vignetting at the corners in 24mm. But it delivers some otherwise
impossible cityscape grab shots, none-the-less.  I tried it out on some
western landscapes and found the corners fuzzy and dark at 24mm, but
fine for snapshots at 30mm. I fear the 21mm model will have very
pronounced vignetting - the lens is just too close to the film on these
ulta-thin cameras.  It is also worth noting that USA-based buyers won't
see any Ricoh officially imported.

For a really interesting new optical design from Canon, check out their
Japanese WWW site (incl. the English version) for the Photokina
announcement. It uses what looks to a layman like a pair of matched
fresnel lenses (the patterned surfaces face each other) to dramatically
reduce the length of EOS System EF telephoto lenses.

OM Content: Anyone know if the IS series panoramic adapter fits into an
OM body? How about one from a different manufacturer? With automated
photo processing machines now returning super wide prints from any frame
with panoramic masking, it seems appropriate to convert an OM body to
panoramic use.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV