Re: [OM] OM:Point and Shoot

Subject: Re: [OM] OM:Point and Shoot
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 14:16:20 +0200
----- Original Message -----
From: <rdk@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2000 10:28 AM

Roger Key wrote:
> I would recommend the Centurion too. It produces remarkably good pictures; the
> photos that my wife took on a recent holiday in Wales were in many cases
> better
> than those I took with my 4Ti. It is the closest thing to my old Pen F and FT
> in
> terms of weight/packability/performance. 'Macro' shots of alpine flowers were
> very good...I certainly intend to use it for backpacking trips and multi-day
> ski
> tours.
> It has a fine lens with two ED elements (Olympus description says that is a
> further development of the IS-series lens, with better contrast), ESP
> metering,
> Super FP flash,

Unfortunately the built-in flash of the Centurion is very weak, about the same
power as the built-in [single tube] flash of the original iS-10(0). I doubt it's
sufficient for real super FP flash photography.

> a top speed of 1/2000, vertical FP shutter, etc. The 1/1.45
> extender is also very compact and affordable.

This converter, the D-145, has got less-than-perfect comments from FvL in the
past. IIRC the plastic snap-on attachment apparently was the main disadvantage.
Obviously not the same build quality as the iS A-/B-/C- converters...

> Oh, and viewfinder diopter adjustment.....

And LCD light (not found on any iS series camera)...

> Finally, the APS system of date/time stamping, where the exact time and date
> of
> each shot is printed on the back of the standard prints can be extremely
> useful
> for family use...

And the MRC (Mid Roll Change) possibility of the S version...   Hmmm...

Per Nordenberg