Re: [OM] Cleaning Exterior of Olympus Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Cleaning Exterior of Olympus Lens
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 18:05:54 +0100
Frank Berryman wrote:
> What is the best way to clean the focusing grip - toothbrush and mild
>soapy solution?
Sounds okay but I haven't actually tried it. I nearly always use
Quick'n'Brite on a damp cloth to loosen dirt or grease and a clean cloth or
old towel to remove it.

>Is there anyway to remove/buff-off marks (not nicks or paint
> chips) on the barrel and lens hood?
I use Solvol Autosol, a *mildly* abrasive chrome cleaner, used sparingly,
gently and buffed up and examined between applications. On very scruffy
cameras that I've bought from boot sales, I've had them looking near new by
polishing them with Astonish paste, but I haven't had to resort to that with
anything Olympus.

>What can be used to touch up where the
> paint has rubbed off the aperture ring and filter threads?  Will a fine
> point Sanford Sharpie work?
Hope so - I've just done that on a newly received 50/f3.5 macro Zuiko. I
don't know how that happens with reasonable handling, it hasn't on any of my
Zuikos that I bought from new. I re-blackened quite a lot of my OM40 with a
Sharpie a year ago and it's holding up well.

Regards,
Keith Berry