Re: [OM] Weddings

Subject: Re: [OM] Weddings
From: Robinsnes@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 12:41:09 EDT
Wow, this is getting complicated. The best advice is to get one of the books
on wedding photography and read it carefully.
The candid shots, etc., are the frosting on the cake. The cake itself is the
formals that you take of the family and B&G at the alter. Portraits of
families and multigenerational pictures will be valuable.
I shoot several weddings a week and use a Hassey with an 80mm lens (that is
the equivalent of a 50 on your Olympus). For the large group shots, I use the
equivalent of a 28mm and for portraits I use the equivalent of an 85-100.
If you are not used to doing this kind of work, don't make it over
complicated. Take these three PRIME lenses and use your feet to zoom in or
out. Forget the zoom lenses, they are slower, more difficult to focus, and
inhibit moving quickly.
Make sure that you have a bracket that keeps the flash approximately 10"
above the axis of the lens. This will prevent redeye and throw shadows down
behind the subject.
Be a sport, shoot Kodak Portra NC 400 but rate it at 250. Shoot the formals
off of a tripod and drag the shutter at 1/15 to pick up more ambient light.
Load several cameras and don't get too involved with the many toys you have
so that you can work quickly, efficiently, and enjoy the wedding.
Good luck...weddings really are fun, but they are also a time to work
carefully and have in mind exactly what shots you want. Don't go in cold and
wait for something to present itself. Know what you need and pose it. They
will like those pictures much better.

Roger Skully
robinsnestphotography.com