RE: [OM] Weddings

Subject: RE: [OM] Weddings
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 15:55:07 -0400
Paul,
I might present a little different twist to this; use your OM-1 and 1n.  Use
the T-32, and 283, perhaps the T-20 in Automatic mode, not TTL, with shutter
speed of the 1 set at 1/60.  Obtain a couple, or only 1, flash trigger.
Between now and December, experiment a little to see the effects of the
different flashes working together.
My reasoning is that TTL-wise, you at present only have the one flash, the
T-32.  Asking it to "cooperate with the 283 or the T-20 is asking too much.
Use a variable output sensor on the 283 and let it provide proportional
output to the T-32 for better lighting.

Or, you can acquire a Multi-TTL connector and let the T-20 work with the
T-32 if you can get a 5m cord to get the T-32 w/Stofen away from the camera.
Let the smaller T-20 be on-axis and the T-32 provide nice soft fill from the
side.  Of course, you'll also need a portable stand for the off-camera
flash...  If you use all TTL, the 4 or the 2s will handle the light just
fine, but you'll have essentially even output of light from both units. A
diffuser on the off-camera light will give nice results.

By all means, if you're using the BG2, use the TTL Flash Extender to get the
flash higher than the BG2 by itself will allow.  You'll get better lighting
(shadows will be less apparent, since they will be lower than the subjects).

Film - ASA 400, either Porta NC or Royal Gold, but 400!

Forget the zoom, you'll likely have a hard time focusing it.  f/4 in the
dark is bad news, use the fastest lenses you have and use your feet to zoom.

May sound a little crazy, but I live in OH, I'd be glad to scout the
location for you and tell you how it is set up for lighting, etc.  Forget
the outside in December.  It will be cold and DARK.  At 6:00 it will be
totally dark, how are you going to focus on folks not wearing coats?  They
will be dancing around too much to even focus on them!

Some other advice, take your photos first, then let rest of family members
take their shots.  You want to be in control, and it is the only way it will
work.  Make sure to have anyone tell you if they see a red flash, that means
their eyes were closed!  Two, max, three shots per pose.

4-5 rolls is all you're going to be using.  Load one camera with B+W, use
color in the other.  Don't have a drink until it is all over.  Some of your
best photos can be the intimate ones of family that you know best and how
they are relating to other members of the family, hopefully it is all good!
(:>)

Brian P. Huber