Re: [OM] Weddings

Subject: Re: [OM] Weddings
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 20:47:04 -0400

Wow, this is getting complicated. The best advice is to get one of the books
on wedding photography and read it carefully.

Also check out internet resources such as photo lists of shots to take, etc. Here's a start list:
http://www.alaskasbest.com/photo.htm

 Forget the zoom lenses, they are slower, more difficult to focus, and
inhibit moving quickly.

If you think you need the versitility of the zoom in a small area, I really suggest you invest in a 2- screen. I personally can no longer focus quickly and accurately inside without one when using a slow lens. This becomes a problem when the subjects are moving!

Make sure that you have a bracket that keeps the flash approximately 10"
above the axis of the lens. This will prevent redeye and throw shadows down
behind the subject.

This is so important. The T32 has the power to make large shadows a long ways away on the wall. If the ceiling is not real high, and you want the background lit almost as well as the subjects (for the reception, for instance) I suggest putting the T32 on the BG2 pointed toward the ceiling, and the T20 on the camera.

Be a sport, shoot Kodak Portra NC 400

Nothing I have used works better.

Good luck...weddings really are fun, but they are also a time to work
carefully and have in mind exactly what shots you want. Don't go in cold and
wait for something to present itself. Know what you need and pose it. They
will like those pictures much better.

Have someone work with you to help pose the groups for the formal shots. You will have way too many things you are thinking about to notice if something is out of place, for instance. I work with my wife. I tell the party what the shot is and as I set it up she double-checks that everything looks right.

I only do weddings for friends or family, and it is my gift to them. I only have them pay for the film and processing. Get double prints made so you get a copy of what you want. If you rely on them to send you one, you will never see any!

Gregg