[OM] Photographing Northern Lights (was Photography in Stavanger?)

Subject: [OM] Photographing Northern Lights (was Photography in Stavanger?)
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 08:36:08 -0600
On 7 Oct 2000, at 7:25, Chris Barker wrote:

> I have managed to get a snatched shot of the Aurora, again in Canada, but
> from the ground using a OM1/50mm combination.  Nothing impressive.  I
> expect that to get the sort of photograph that we might show off proudly,
> we would need a fast lens and film and a tripod set up away from light
> "pollution".

My attempts have all been away from city lights, using print film (can't
remember exactly which, but I usually shoot either ASA 200 or 400),
with the tripod.  Either the northern lights weren't distinguishable from
the rest of the sky, or they appeared as green "mud" and weren't purdy
at all.

To be more specific with my questions, should one use really long
exposures (like minutes, even?) or short ones?  I'm assuming that no
filters on the lens is best, right?  In other words, if someone on the list
has had success photographing northern lights, I'd sure like to hear
specifically how it was done.

> I'll see what happens with my new multispeed Fuji slide film... when
> it arrives. I'm going back to Stavanger on 23/24 Oct as well.

That'd be great!  Thanks!

Regards,

Chris