Re: [OM] "Black Nose" v.s. "Silver Nose"

Subject: Re: [OM] "Black Nose" v.s. "Silver Nose"
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 14:09:36 +0000
In general, lenses that were originally single coated have an X.Zuiko
marking on the ring, where the "X" is a letter designating the number of
elements (E=5, F=6, G=7, etc.).  Multi-coated lenses of that era that were
multi-coated have an "Zuiko MC" marking.  At some point when Olympus
started multi-coating all its lenses, the "MC" was dropped leaving just the
"Zuiko."

The 35/2.8 was originally single coated and had a "G.Zuiko" marking.  It
went multi-coated some time around 1981.  According to the lens survey here:
  http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/mc-sc.survey

your serial number falls in the middle of the single-coated 35/2.8 lenses,
and ought to be marked "G.Zuiko" on the lens ring.  There are two suspect
data points in the survey for this lens:
(1)  S/N 246000, is listed as an "MC" and having a "G.Zuiko" marking.
     I suspect it is single-coated.
(2)  S/N 277800 which claims to be marked "Zuiko" with no "MC"
     I suspect is an MC lens after the "MC" was dropped.

Thanks to Lee Hawkins and the area of his site devoted to the OM:
  http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/photo.shtml

-- John