Re: [OM] The 40 mm f2 on ebay for last day

Subject: Re: [OM] The 40 mm f2 on ebay for last day
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 21:53:49 -0600

And, 0n 7 Oct 1000, a 20:11, Gary Reese wrote:

> > Nope, there are at least two.  I still say that it is defaced, so it is
> > in user condition (8) maximum. For the seller to claim "New in Box" is
> > unconscionable.

Not to impune the honesty of the seller, as I neither know him nor have I
dealt with him, I tend to agree with Gary.  To me, "New in Box" means
"pristine."  SInce someone (a not-too-bright person?) has "blacked-out"
the numbers on the focusing scale, I'd hardly call the lens pristine, so
"new in box" seems generous to say the least.  But, in defense of the
seller, he at *does* state in the description that the numbers have been
blacked-out, so I tend to doubt he's trying to be sneaky or dishonest.

One thing I've noted with e-Bay is that the descriptions of condition are
not very standard.  I've seen alot of "minty" and "exc+" items that have
some pretty serious faults noted in the descriptions  (i.e. "minty"
camera bodies with a ding on the prism, which to me would indicate the
thing has been abused).  For that reason, I tend to ignore the "ratings"
and concentrate on the desriptions.

Just my humble opinion.

Regards,

Chris