[OM] various bits ...

Subject: [OM] various bits ...
From: Reuben Acciano <rubydoomsday@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 02:29:41 -0400 (EDT)
Zuiks,

1. I may be coming in to a (relatively) cheap OM-3 soon ... (friend's dad,
failing eyesight, Nikon AF, my gain) I am soooo happy at the idea of having
the ultimate all-mechanical SLR (FP flash sync notwithstanding) to
complement my 4T1 during those painful "shooting in -10 degrees in a Prague
blizzard battery failure moments". Though the 4Ti held up for a good minute
under those conditions ... [Interesting addendum - if you type too fast and
hold down the shift key before you need to when typing "4Ti" it comes up $Ti
... an almost dazzlingly ironic moment of what my editor and I used to call
"latent spellchecker wisdom" ... :)

2. Fast lenses are also colloquially referred to as such  - are they not? -
because of the, literally, faster/shorter shutter speeds (caeteris parabus)
the greater maximum aperture allows, yes?

3. Problem you can maybe help me solve. Party on the weekend - I burned
through a few rolls of E100VS (fab film, who cares about shadow detail when
you use flash?) Anyway, I'm pretty sure I had the ISO dial set at 200 (a
one-stop push) for the first half of the last roll. I'd had a few drinks,
and after finishing the roll, rewind, unload etc, I noticed that the ISO
dial had worked its way back to 100. Doh. My question now is - do I get a
clip test done, and adjust from there, possibly losing some great 24mm f2
picks of adults dressed as kids jumping up and down on a bouncy castle
thingy, or just split the difference, processing at 160 (and possibly losing
the impact of various exposure and flash compensations done along the way).
My brain tells me that option two is the wiser, as 160 represents 2/3 rds of
stop underexposure if the film was mostly rated 100, and 1/3rd of a stop
overexposure if the film was mostly rated 200. Does anyone know enough about
the latitude of E100VS too suggest whether or not this idea is sensible?
Given my use of (contrast lowering) fill flash and the generally even
ambient lighting anyway, I'm guessing the slides would still be
viewable/printable from anyway ... right? It's no biggie, these are just
personal picks, it's just that I was at a 21st birthday, and - should the
shots turn out as I planned - would represent a really nice (not to mention
pin-sharp and hyper-saturated!) precis of a friend's great day.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Reuben Acciano