Re: [OM] Speed of lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Speed of lenses
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 18:39:36 +1100
Yes, that starts to make a kind of sense. I'm not so sure about the
macro-focussing range as an explanation as I once had a Micro-Nikkor
(55mm/3.5? - it's been so long!) and, from memory,  the actual elements
were very small although in a standard Nikkor barrel size.
However, I suspect that creating a very large image circle may be a cheap
way of reducing image distortions and vignetting - the centre may be more
rectilinear and evenly lit - as many older, cheaper off-brand lenses seem
substantially bigger than their Zuiko eqivalents (i.e. I have an old
Vivitar/Panagor 28/2.5 which is three times the size of a Zuiko 28/2 - 62mm
filter ring!)
Andrew