Re: [OM] The 40 mm f2 on ebay for last day

Subject: Re: [OM] The 40 mm f2 on ebay for last day
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 08:49:38 -0600
On 8 Oct 2000, at 8:18, Tom Scales wrote:

> Well, I contacted him about it.  He replied that they haven't actually been
> blacked out, they've been erased, meaning the paint erased out of the
> numbers.

Erased???  Not that *I* would ever want to do that, I wonder how the
original owner accomplished that?

> He does clearly disclose it in the description, but I do agree NIB is
> too strong. Perhaps LNIB.

Depending upon one's personal interpretation, even LNIB might be a bit
strong.  But, as someone else noted, he *did* use "NIB-" (new-in-box
minus?) in the title, so maybe that's what he was trying to indicate in
the first place?

Like I said in my earlier post, I tend to ignore "ratings" and focus strictly
on the description and photos (or lack thereof).  There's just *too* many
sellers on e-Bay who, IMHO, are overly "generous" with their ratings,
and rating systems are *so* open to subjective interpretation.  Tell me
how it *really* looks/works, and forget trying to slap a number value to it.

> if anyone wants one, I believe this is about the best condition you're
> going to find.

I *want* one, mostly for the "I have it and you don't!" factor, just as that
"OM Polaroid" someone just pointed out sure looks pretty cool!  But,
alas, there's now *way* I could ever afford it.  Uhhh...  Christmas is
coming, Tom?  Have you bought my gift yet???  (HINT!  HINT!)  <G>

Regards,

Chris