[OM] 35-70mm Zooms

Subject: [OM] 35-70mm Zooms
From: "Franklin Berryman" <faberryman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 16:38:19 GMT
I am sure that this has been covered before, but I have some questions concerning the 35-70mm lenses.

I have looked at Gary Reese's lens tests and, at f5.6 and smaller, the lenses each appear to be within hald a grade of one another.

I know that the f3.5-4.5 is substantially smaller than the f3.6 and the f4.0 (and takes 49mm filters) and is prized by many for that reason. Is it really that much dimmer through the viewfinder than the f3.6 or the f4.0?

Also, Is there some reason the f3.6 commands about twice the price of the f4.0? Is it that much sharper or do people simply prefer a slightly faster lens and are willing to pay the price?

Thanks for you input.