Re: [OM] iS-10(0) / iS-20(0) / Centurion AF Question

Subject: Re: [OM] iS-10(0) / iS-20(0) / Centurion AF Question
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 00:40:08 +0200
----- Original Message -----
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <HVeluwen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 09, 2000 12:22 PM
Subject: [OM] iS-10(0) / iS-20(0) / Centurion AF Question

> My newly aquired Centurion (Black) puts the AF into Continous AF when I
> activate the Sport Program; there's no AF lock. The strange thing is that
> neither the Centurion brochure I have nor its manual mention this fact at
> all.
> Now it makes me wonder - is this continuous AF also *predictive*, like what
> was "introduced" on the iS-300/iS-30?

Hans, doesn't the term "predictive AF" imply that the AF system of the camera
actually is able to "predict" the approximate distance to the moving subject in
advance? Remember what they said in the iS-30 Pop Photo test, where the
photographer "was able to keep continuous focus on the sports car UP TO THE
MOMENT
he began a panned exposure". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I presume [simple]
Continuous AF (w/o the predictive feature) just keeps the focus position of the
first shot? I'm 99,9 ure that the 'predictive' part of the AF system in
iS-30(0) really is a completely new feature of that camera.

> It also makes me wonder if the AF on the iS-100(s)/iS-10(s) and iS-200/iS-20
> in the Sport Program also happens to be continuous and Oly just never
> bothered to mention it?

At least my iS-200 manual doesn't mention continuous AF, but I suppose that
doesn't say much.

Per Nordenberg