[OM][OT] What Have You Done For Me Lately...(and I make no promises)

Subject: [OM][OT] What Have You Done For Me Lately...(and I make no promises)
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 23:46:44 GMT
I've wanted to mention something along these lines lately but refrained for various reasons (didn't wish to introduce an OT thread; didn't wish to join an OT fray already in progress; etc.).

But now that Mike Veglia has tossed his hat into the ring I'll speak my piece and try to keep it peaceable.

Some listfolk prefer to keep strictly on-topic: no drifting toward cars, guns, SUVs, politics, endoscopic work, etc.

Fair enough...to a point. But Mike Veglia's photographic pursuit *is* cars, race cars to be specific. Shall we forbid any mention of cars, including his work - done, BTW, with OM gear? Or allow him, but no one else, to mention the "c" word? In which case, if he graciously lets us know about an update to his website featuring photos from a recent race, are we to refrain from responding onlist?

I'm truly not being facetious and especially not trying to start an argument for the sake of one.

Here's why. I have little or no interest in any kind of racing, cars or otherwise. But I appreciate good photography of any kind regardless of subject matter. My feelings and opinions about the subject matter are immaterial. Yet 'til now I'd refrained from even mentioning an occasional photographic subject of my own: guns. Why? The recent brouhaha that sprouted from the mere mention of the "g" word. (Those of you who are interested can confirm via the archives that the first opinion shot across the bow was fired by a non-gunner - not by a pro-gunner - apparently provoked by the "g" word, dropped by another member. And, no, this isn't a jab at that particular member who contributes many delightful posts despite having an upside-down view of the world.)

As a former airgun collector I discovered how tricky it can be to photograph such objects. Anything combining highly reflective and non-reflective surfaces presents a challenge to any photographer. The same can be said of sculpture, flowers in vases and the nude figure.

But imagine how preposterous it would be for each of us to rant ad nauseum at the mere sight of one another's photos of geysers, mountains, flowers, bugs, molded clay, chiseled marble and visible skin?

So, again, I ask...how strictly do we adhere to Olympus topics? If absolutely strictly, then I propose a compromise: we shall all refrain from OT and taboo topics of any kind in the text of our posts - Olympus content only; but likewise our taglines shall remain sacrosanct - they may not be commented upon or subject to debate by others. Whether the tagline reads "Snoopy for President", "See my photos of naked guns at dubdubdub.nekkidguns.com" or "I really, really, *really* hate OT threads" - inviolable, uncensored, free from comment or criticism.

Okay...*now* I'm being facetious. Because we all know that wouldn't work. Next thing we know, our taglines will be longer than our message text and we'll battle pet OT peeves out via taglines.

So we're back where gentlefolk have always been. In polite society we may agree to disagree, even loudly and at length, but must refrain from cheap shots. Sometimes it's difficult to refrain when we believe we're only responding to a personal affront initiated by another. Lord know, I've failed in that regard on occasion.

Meanwhile, SEE MY PIX OF NAKED FISH AND OTHER ODDITIES!!!

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1005538&a=7442500