[OM] Keeper of the Bear

Subject: [OM] Keeper of the Bear
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 05:51:54 -0700 (PDT)
Keeper of the Bear

Sitting on the shoreline of Lake Superior I watch the
waves glide into shore on the tilted stratus of rock.
I am watching the night sky; the stars occasionally
reflect in the water along with a mysterious glow in
the northern sky.

It is still.  No wind, but a gentle lapping of the
water is all the sound eminating from the scene
tonight.  The lateness of the hour and the remoteness
of the location both conspire to render a loneliness
to this place.  I have wandered up the beach a
distance and now sit by myself, looking, listening,
wondering.  The nearest person is at least a half mile
away and my only companion is my flashlight.  The moon
is near new-moon phase and the darkness is
breathtaking.  Except for the glow.

The previous night was absolutely dark and the stars
took on a three-dimensional quality.  It was though
you could swim through the galaxies, passing
constellations here and there.  The only man-made
lights were from a lighthouse thirteen miles away and
radio towers twice that far.  No ships, no cars, no
boats and no other walkers.

I am enjoying this time by myself.  Karen and the
girls are sleeping in the tent and I have this
shoreline all to my own.  I seek to see two things
this trip:  Northern Lights and a bear.  Not since I
was a teenager have I seen a black bear in Michigan.
Ever since they closed the city dump at Copper Harbor,
in fact.  When I was young we saw a bear nearly every
night scavenging through the campgrounds.  Will we see
one this trip?

It is cold tonight.  A chill is settling in, but I am
still warm from taking a long, hot shower earlier.  I
placed an OM-1 on a tripod taking a time exposure.
I?ll come back to it in another half-hour or so.  Will
I see a bear?  The Northern Lights?

I wait.

The big dipper, Ursa Major, is the only constellation
showing in the north sky.  Bear Guardian it is also
known as.  The glow and the constellation conspire
against me.  I will not see a bear this trip.  Safe,
deep in the woods, they will remain.

Still, I wait.

A flicker appears in the sky.  A searchlight?  Airport
beacon?  Then a curtain appears, glowing slightly more
than the glowing sky.  Sheets, waterfalls, ripples and
beams now start appearing.  Colorless, but they are
there.

The show doesn?t last long.  Twenty minutes at most,
but long enough to enjoy on this cold evening.  The
glow starts to fade.

Then I remember the camera.  I doubt that the film
captured anything but the glow.  I further doubt that
the exposure was anywhere near correct.  But I don?t
care.  I saw part of what I came to see.  I saw the
keeper of the bear.

Ken Norton
Image66