Re: [OM] Weddings

Subject: Re: [OM] Weddings
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 18:37:15 +0000

>How bad is the dim viewfinder? Will the extra time spent focusing
>match the time spent shuffling lenses?
>
>If you can get something longer from theb ack of the church and
>pre-position a tripod in the choir loft or whatever, I would
>recommend it. Years ago, when I did my sister's wedding (ugh) some of
>those shots were their favorites. Luckily no one moves very fast
>during the crucial parts of a wedding ceremony....
>
>paul
>
>--
>Paul Wallich                                           pw@xxxxxxxxx

I've used the 35-105/3.5~4.5 on the OM-4 (with 2-13 screen) indoors at
receptions, and large dinners with lower light levels than say in an
office.  It takes longer to work with it than with my primes.  I find
myself zooming out to 105 to get critical focus and then pulling back to
where I need to very carefully, as it is a one-touch.  In further thinking,
it's not just a dimmer viewfinder, it's also a greater DOF making critical
focus harder to find.  I can focus faster with the 135/2.8, any of the f/2
primes, and even faster yet with the 50/1.2 standard.  Some of it is a
brighter viewfinder and some of it must be the much shallower DOF.  It's a
very convenient lens, and my lens of choice for candids at large extended
family gatherings, but only if I can take my time with it.

I really don't plan at this time to use any flash during the wedding itself
even if the minister allows it.  I have enough relatives that don't care
for it, and after the wedding I'll still be related to them.  ;-)

Some of the available light from the back of the church during my wedding
are among our favorites too, and I don't want to try any "pizza runs" either.

-- John