[OM] OM88/OM101 PF

Subject: [OM] OM88/OM101 PF
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 06:07:36 GMT
I saw my first OM88 Power Focus today. My first thought was "what a silly thing." It was nearly as good a beginner's or backup SLR as the Can-not-an-OM-on T50, but missed the mark by insisting on the power focus "feature" and oddball lenses. The T50, at least, accepts all Canon FD mount lenses.

Well, I get home, revisit Hans' continually useful site and discover that the OM88 accepts most manual focus Zuikos as well. Better yet, it includes OTF metering, TTL flash with the T20 unit I already have, and at least offers aperture priority AE with manual lenses.

So, this begs the question: would it make a decent backup camera? I know the OM-10/20/30/40 are popular with many folks who own more "serious" OMs for that very purpose. Anybody out there have enough experience with an OM88 to take a whack at this?

Naturally among the factors I'd consider are the probability of limited serviceability in case something fails, etc. I'd be grateful for any other comments.