Re: [OM] If you had to choose only ONE body . . .

Subject: Re: [OM] If you had to choose only ONE body . . .
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 10:49:03 +0200 (CEST)
Giles,

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Giles wrote:

> But an OM4Ti is actually quicker and less complicated to operate than an
> OM2s.

I do not agree on that, see below.

> You don't 'have' to make multiple spot readings.  You can take just one
> spot reading, as with a 2S.  Or none if you want to go with centre
> weighting.
>
> However, it is quicker to base the exposure on a single spot reading
> with a 4Ti.
>
> With the 2S you have to locate your spot then manually adjust either speed
> or aperture controls, perhaps both, re-compose then shoot.

With the 4(Ti) in manual mode, you have all the hazzle of the 2S/P, plus
the added bonus of having to move your finger to find the
"spot"-button. Now, with a winder, that is not an easy task.

> With the 4Ti you centre the spot, press the spot button, re-compose and
> shoot.  That is the simplest scenario.  You might also want to adjust the
> aperture after taking the spot reading.  If you have pre-determined your
> aperture then it is the first scenario that applies - press the spot
> button once to take the reading then press the shutter release to take the
> shot.

In auto-mode, yes. For some reason, that has never appealed to me to use
that - possibly because the OM2s/p (with what I see as "convenient spot
metering") does only do spot in manual mode, and because the OM4(Ti),
which do spot in auto-mode too, do not have the "convenient
metering" when having a winder attached.

> However, because the reading is fixed from the moment you press the spot
> button you can adjust the aperture while you are re-composing the shot,
> you don't have to keep the spot circle in the viewfinder centred.

Point well taken.

> If you want to mimic the way an OM2S does the biz you can do that also.
> Put the 4Ti in manual mode, centre the spot, press the spot button, adjust
> aperture and speed manually and shoot.  The only real difference here is
> that you have to press the spot button, but then you don't have to keep
> the spot centred while manipulating aperture or speed.

True. Now, how do I move the spot-button(s) to the handle of my
winder? It's a serious question, since it seems to me that the
OM4(Ti) wasn't designed to do spot + winder at the same time (and yes,
there are reasons why you would want that, e.g. photographing ski-runners
downhill, parashuters, bikers in a race etc - see an old old posting,
where we were discussing that).

Maybe a modification (custom made, perhaps?) is available from one of the
Zuiko-professionals on the list?

--thomas