Re: [OM] How do YOU multi-spot...?

Subject: Re: [OM] How do YOU multi-spot...?
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 08:04:42 -0500
Thomas,
My comments will probably not be very helpful because you and I are too much
alike in preferring the OM-2S, but here goes.  I tend to trust the auto mode
of both cameras in known situations (actually, in most situations).  Since I
use mainly slide film and bracket a bit, I have confirmed over and over that
auto mode is extremely accurate.  With the OM-4T I have many times checked
in common situations to see whether I could improve on the auto reading with
multi-spot averaging, and the readings usually fall within 1/3 stop of the
auto reading.  Actually this is a great comfort because it tends to confirm
the usefulness of both methods of metering, but I find as a result that I am
simply not going to out-smart the auto reading by monkeying with multispot
averaging.

A distinct benefit of the OM-4T (and the reason I bought one in the first
place) is its ability to store a spot reading in memory.  This makes certain
kinds of exposures in low light feasible in auto mode.

I occasionally use the hilight button, never the shadow.  I guess I'm a
OM-2S troglodyte (but no, I'm not entertaining offers to give the 4T away).

Regards,
Joel Wilcox.