Re: Re: [OM] New? 135mm f3.5 and others spotted

Subject: Re: Re: [OM] New? 135mm f3.5 and others spotted
From: coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 10:37:51 -0600
On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 08:52:33AM, Jay Maynard wrote:

> Shipping to Canada is no big deal for me, either, as long as it goes via
the
> postal service...my usual practice in any case, as I refuse to deal with
UPS
> unless there's no other option, *including* changing vendors.

Don't get me started on THAT one, Jay!  I recently got nailed by UPS for a
CDN$30 "brokerage fee" on my OM-10 (value = CDN$100) being returned to me
from the States (e-Bay buyer wasn't satisfied, and asked for his money
back).  I argued loud and long that charging 300f a parcel's value to see
it through Customs (NOT a big deal, since they didn't even OPEN it for
inspection!) was tantamount to extortion.  Their reply was, "Don't pay it,
and we'll sell your camera to recover our fees!"

Lesson learned?  NEVER, EVER send ANYTHING via UPS!!!

> I'm holding a Canadian postal money order right now that I'm hoping my
> credit union will accept for a deposit...it's denominated in US$, but I
> don't know if it'll go or not. I don't know what I'll do with it if they
> don't take it.

If your credit onion (misspelling intentional!) doesn't take a Canadian
postal money order, especially one in US funds, close your account and run,
DON'T walk, to someplace that will!   A money order from Canada Post is as
good as gold!  Same advice goes for non-US buyers that receive USPS money
orders and can't cash them at their local banking institution.

> Most Americans don't know what to do with foreign money. It's not uncommon
> for someone to never have had to deal with it, just as it's not uncommon
at
> all for an American not to have a passport.

(QUCK NOTE TO EVERYONE ELSE ON THE LIST:  The same hold true of
non-Americans, so let's NOT start a Yank bashing/defending battle!)

Yeah, people (Yankee or not) sometimes find foreign exchange to be
confusing and a bit scary, and for that reason shy away from it when
dealing with online transactions.  However, it's really pretty simple since
all ya do is ask for your money order to be in another currency.  If the
local postal service can't provide a foreign currency M.O. then one's bank,
savings/loan or credit union *should* be able to (if it's any kind of a
financial institution!).

Anyway, your comments and points are well taken.  My biggest "beef" right
now is that US-only policies of the online payment schemes (excluding
Bidpay).

Regards,

Chris