[OM] OM-1n battery problem

Subject: [OM] OM-1n battery problem
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 06:29:34 -0400
Hi Nick,
Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> can probably supply you with a
real mercury battery for about $5.00.  That should hold you for several
years.  They last a long, long time.

If you want to go the conversion route, John Hermanson (omtech@xxxxxxxxx
or see www.zuiko.com) does a conversion by inserting a diode into the
circuit.  This is a normal part of his OM-1 CLA price.  He's working on
my original OM-1 right now.

You can also buy an adapter (MR9?) for about $40 that has a diode built
in.  Since a silver oxide cell is smaller than a mercury battery the
adapter is the same size as the mercury battery and the silver oxide
cell fits inside it.

If the camera doesn't need a CLA I'd just get a mercury battery from
Gary.  I think that the MR9 is too expensive since for about $110 you'd
get a permanent solution and complete service from John. If the OM-1 has
never been serviced you should consider it.  The foam is very probably
deteriorating on the light seals and mirror shock pads.  Also, some
OM-1's have foam around the pentaprism.  When this starts to deteriorate
it has a chemical reaction with the paint and silvering on the
pentaprism and ruins the pentaprism.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA