Re: [OM] 35-80/2.8 lens hood

Subject: Re: [OM] 35-80/2.8 lens hood
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 21:39:01 EDT
In a message dated 10/13/00 5:38:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> >While reading about the 35-70/3.6 lens hood a question popped up in
>  >my head: the 35-80/2.8 has one of those funky tulip-shaped hoods.
>  >Now, can anyone tell me what (other than making the lens look extra
>  >cool and professional ;)) the reason is that the really expensive
>  >pro-zooms all seem to have such a lens hood?

In addition to what I ponderously pondered earlier, I made a "tulip" hood for
my Pentax 645 35mm wide by taking a 77mm Cokin adapter ring, and "JB Weld"ing
a black plastic 6" plant pot to it.  Opening the camera back and covering it
with a transluscent piece of paper with strong lighting, the lens on
infinity, the light from the film plane was projected onto the inside of the
plant pot. I traced the light pattern on the inside of the pot and carefully
sawed the pot along those lines. Now I had the largest "tulip" hood ever
made. I have both the factory hood for this 35mm and the Zuiko 21/3.5 and
they are both pitiful floppy pieces of rubber that don't do much. The problem
is that the smallest a round hood can be is to shade only the corner of the
picture while the sun can get by the hood to cause flare but not be in the
picture in the area between the angle of view prescribed by the hood minus
the angle from the center of the photo to the edge of the photo. I hope I
haven't mixed this up too much. But the tulip hood provide the maximum
protection from flare in a cylindrical shape.

I have seen rectangular hoods for older Pentax telephotos in junk bins and
also I think some older rangefinder lens but you never know if they will fit
on your camera.

Warren