[OM][OT] Scott's Colorado trip and pesky journalists

Subject: [OM][OT] Scott's Colorado trip and pesky journalists
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 04:43:50 GMT
Being a former journalist I can recommend a method that works with them and all bullies: "Down in front so the rest of us can get some!" Or ask the videocamera operator if your enormous degaussing device will cause any problems for them. If that doesn't work, walk into the shots 'til you've got their attention and a compromise. If they want to monopolize a site, let 'em pay for exclusive use.

OK, I'm not really recommending such extremes unless absolutely necessary. But journalists and film/video crews learn quickly to be assertive or miss the shot. You just have to join the fray or find a workaround.
-----------
Lex Jenkins
Musta been a UFO.  It wuz flyin' an' I dunno whut it wuz. - A "farmer"
From: Scott Nelson <SNelson@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 12:40:14 -0400

BTW, there was a
video camera crew from Rocky Mountain PBS shooting on this trip and they had their big Pro videocam hanging out the window most of the time. This nerved me as I paid extra for a special photog-oriented ride where they would stop the
train periodically, let us off and then run by for photos. I didn't buy the
"crew with the biggest camera gets the best location" ideology. They also camped out on the platform up front with the cameraman, sound girl, and still guy at
the watering stops, so it was very hard for the rest of us to get any shots
around them.