Re: [OM] DIY lens hoods

Subject: Re: [OM] DIY lens hoods
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 18:06:18 +1100
>I have seen rectangular hoods for older Pentax telephotos in junk bins and
>also I think some older rangefinder lens but you never know if they will fit
>on your camera.
>Warren

Yes they do - the rectagular ones were made for the old wide angles - tele
lenses used circular screw-ins that reversed over the lens for storage.
They are all very well made. The smaller rectangular clamp type and
screw-ins were made for the 49mm filter ring lenses - clamp types are about
a 51mm diameter opening and clamp on neatly. I have a Pentax 28/3.5 on my
Zuiko 28/2.8 and it's a perfect fit as I said in an earlier post, although
nearly as big as the lens. Not too good for snapshots but perfect for
considered landscapes on a tripod.

However, Pentax's larger size was 58mm so they're no use - about a 60mm
diameter (although they might fit around a 35-70/3.6 body if you were
building a custom hood!) I've also persuaded a friend who is a fitter and
turner to cut down the telephoto hoods to various sizes neatly, on his
lathe, instead of just sawing them off! Creates a nice 'silver nose' hood.

>In addition to what I ponderously pondered earlier, I made a "tulip" hood for
>my Pentax 645 35mm wide by taking a 77mm Cokin adapter ring, and "JB Weld"ing
>a black plastic 6" plant pot to it.

I used a similar solution for a medium format rollfilm - couldn't find the
huge rectangular bucket for a 50mm Mamiya Press lens so used a Cokin 72mm
and glued a Tamron tulip to it - a local dealer had a box full of them -
about 77mm size for their large zooms I think. It was a bayonet fit so I
cut away the mounting lands and glued the adaptor inside the hood, to
reduce any steps close to the lens ring. I was expecting to have to chop
off bits of the hood to adjust but, serendipitously, it was perfect,
allowing just one filter without vignetting.
Andrew