[OM] Street shooting with the 24/2.8

Subject: [OM] Street shooting with the 24/2.8
From: John Hudson <xyyc@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 07:59:14 -0700
Yesterday, a bright sunny afternoon here in Vancouver, I went street
shooting with my 4T, 24/2.8, and 400 ISO Ilford Delta. Using a 1/1000 at
f8 and a depth of field from 1 to >3 meters I carried the camera in a
vertical position between waist and hip level. Walking up and down the
sidewalks, back and forth across several crosswalks and intersections,
and through crowds of people I was able to fire the shutter up close
attracting almost no attention.

I assume others have done this sort of street shooting before. At the
time this street shooting was fun and I am looking forward to the
results. Afterwards I got to thinking about the ethics of it all. One or
two people who were carrying cameras and LowePro type hold alls smiled
as they passed my by leaning against a utility pole or walking slowly up
the street; obviously they knew what I was doing! The end results will
be viewed for personal pleasure and enjoyment but as no model releases
were obtained the images can not be used or published for commercial
gain.

Is there any consensus on the ethics of this kind of street photography?
After all, it is pretty much "right in your face" and I am wondering if
the photographer is intruding into the subject's personal space over
which the subject could have a valid objection?

John Hudson
Vancouver, BC