[OM] Smitten...(kinda long)

Subject: [OM] Smitten...(kinda long)
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:15:29 -0700
I just finished up a 3-day weekend getting to shoot ALMS sportscars with
Tom's Zuiko 350/2.8 and must say I'm smitten. Not finding the time to
heed Gary Reese's advice of practicing with it first I ventured out
Friday with a ton-o-Provia F in hand. The pleasure in using this
wonderful lens is not just that way things look through the viewfinder,
the way focus snaps in and out leaving zero doubts, but the ergonomics
as well were perfect. I found that by stabilizing the lens against my
mono-pod with my left hand over the lens hood that my thumb landed
perfectly on almost perfectly smooth focusing ring (well...except for
one ever so slight intermittent tightness at what seemed like the spot I
wanted to be sometimes...which no doubt a CLA will cure) and things just
felt right in an un-describable way. This just felt like the perfect
tool for what I do from the very start and confidence in handling it
built fast. Anxious to see what my first day results would be before
things were too late I had all of Friday's rolls processed while I was
away at the track again Saturday. Saturday night I was able to see just
how spectacular this lens really is. Stunning is a word that doesn't
even begin to describe...

Many a (mostly Canon) wunderbrick shooter came over to get a look and
comment on what a nice lens it was (no worries Tom, I wiped off all the
drool). One British guy (Canon shooter) said, emphatically, "buy it!"

I left the track Friday thinking of a post in a racing forum about how
to raise money to race...the post went something like "do a 7-11" over
and over as needed. That was when I thought to myself I need to do
whatever it takes to buy this lens. No, I won't "do a 7-11" but short of
that I may have to go to drastic soul selling levels. Zuikoholism has
got ahold of me and I am incapable of rational thought. On a more
serious note (in the form of a "should I buy" question really). My next
major lens purchase was going to be a Tamron SP 300/2.8 LD/IF (a used
green one...not the new plastic variety). These can be had all day long
for ~$1000-1300 and in "bargain" condition (my favorite) as low as
~$500-600 or so. One plus of the Tamron (vs. the sweet Zuiko 350) are
the SP 1.4X and 2X extenders (420/4 and 600/5.6) and the changable mount
for use on some non-OM digital super body someday (the new Pentax about
to come out looks really appealing). Another big plus is the Tamron is
much smaller and, presumably, lighter...but I do not know if has the
same wonderful ergonomics nor is it likely to have quite the same build
quality. However now that I have found my mate and have become "smitten"
will I ever be 100% happy with a Tamron SP 300/2.8? Is it really worth
the (considerable) extra $$$ to make the stretch for this newfound love?
I'll be really curious to see what Gary's test results are for this
lens. My "real world test" doing racing photography tell me this is a
first rate lens capable of producing stunning images. Are there any
tests out there like Gary's (rather that photo-do or whatever it's
called) on the Tamron 300/2.8?

Since this was three very long days of shooting I do not yet have my
editing done nor has scanning begun. As soon as the first few shots are
up on my site I'll post again so anyone here interested can take a look
at the results this baby helped me achieve (as best you can see on the
web that is...). The only solace for me is that this was also only the
second time I shot with a wonderful lens I can call my own (the Tamron
SP 80-200/2.8 LD I recently got, partly on recommendations from a few of
you). Aside from reach, the image quality looking through an 8x loupe
(Provia F slides) is virtually indistinguishable between these two
wonderful lenses, color, contrast, every looks almost seemless. They go
together so well. I'm smitten.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com