Re: [OM] Street shooting with the 24/2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Street shooting with the 24/2.8
From: Vaughan Bromfield <vaughan.bromfield@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 15:37:15 +1100
Most problems arise not from the act of photography itself, but the
intended purpose of the image. Or more likely, the *eventual* use of the image.

There is also a cultrual aspect to this. For instance, many Australian
aboriginal cultures do not speak the names of the dead nor view their
images. Most discussion on lists like ours is always from a western perspective.

What about people's right to privacy?

I just read a newspaper article that talked about Clinton's daughter
dining out at a Sydney seafood restaurant during the Olympic games.
There were over 40 security guards and minders there. Compare this to
when Australia's richest man and his son go dining, they go alone. Not
even a chauffer. "Ours is truely the lucky country" the story concluded.

Actually, the notion of a public place is quite interesting. In USA, who
"owns" public spaces? Who owns the land that nobody else can lay title
to? In Australia all unclaimed land is owned by "the Crown." Hence the
problem we have here with native title rights etc. <sigh>

Vaughan