Re: [OM] shutter speed ring origin?

Subject: Re: [OM] shutter speed ring origin?
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 08:07:34 GMT
Ho-ho-ho-contraire, mon Gary. On many SLRs the top mounted shutter speed dial can easily be whizzed to and fro with the index finger, using the Jason Kidd no-look technique. That's how I operate my Can-not-an-OM-on FTbn, which has shutter speeds dimly visible in a now-cobwebby corner of the viewpeeker. I expect that when this camera has bitten its final dust, the shaft beneath the shutter speed dial will be a mere twiglet from all that whizzing, to-ing and fro-ing. But the price - lugging a brick.

Somewhere in the OM Webring is the answer to Dirk's question regarding placement of the shutter speed ring - it had something to do with making the OM body as small as possible. Personally, I find it slightly less convenient in action - I tend to land on the aperture or focus ring first - but have no complaints about the size. Fair compromise.

I do agree about exposure compensation - I've never felt hindered by the old fashioned, all manual method. With AE cameras lacking "exposure compensation" I just doodle the ASA setting up or down.
-----------
Lex Jenkins
"Budda-budda-budda!!!" - Sgt. Rock

From: "Gary Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 21:33:49 -0500

In the pure and simple concept of the original, the OM-1 (or M-1), exposure
compensation is accomplished by either the shutter speed or the aperture
setting; photographer's choice, and both made with the left hand.  The
indices around the needle, visible in the viewfinder, are calibrated in
+/-0.5 and +/-1 stop increments, so all of the critical control is
accomplished by one hand, without removing your eye from the viewfinder.
Hard to improve upon.  Try that with a conventional top deck shutter speed
knob.