Re: [OM] Ok, I start drifting - but still it is about Olympus...(was:

Subject: Re: [OM] Ok, I start drifting - but still it is about Olympus...(was: Re: [OM] shutter speed ring origin?)
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:21:57 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000 T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Having the shutter-speed ring at the lens mount
> was one of the major reasons I decided to go with Olympus, rather than
> other of the many systems available in the 80'es.

I rather like it, too.  That's one of the reasons I prefer the 35RD to
the 35RC also.  The only thing I would say is that the OM shutter speed
ring could do with a couple more "ears" to grab hold of - sometimes I
lose track of them and have to look.

> Anyone knows, btw., if there were ever made other cameras with the shutter
> speed ring located as on the Olympi? I do not seem to remember any, but..

Does a Zeiss Ikon Contina count?  They have the shutter & aperture rings
close enough together that you can turn both at the same time - keeping
the same exposure.  All they lack is a rangefinder and a bit of
compactness.

> that the OM1-layout of the meter is the second-best in the world, only
> topped by that of the OM2s/p in manual mode....which essentially is the
> OM1-nedel in digital form, but with the benefit of being illuminated and
> thus usefull even at night.

I do wish that they'd somehow managed to put the backlight window in the
prism rather than where my finger sometimes rests, and maybe let a bit
more light in so I don't have to use the electric backlight as often.
With a 2-4 screen, I sometimes have to use it even in good daylight.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
| |   | |   | |             http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~cpian/          |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |