Re: [OM] Photo Techniques' 25 Best Cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] Photo Techniques' 25 Best Cameras
From: "John Pendley" <jpendley@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 22:09:12 -0400
Hello Everybody,
The OM series is simply the *only* Japanese SLR that I've ever touched that
comes anywhere near the Leica feel.  True, they don't quite have that
ultra-precision feel.  But they're actually lighter than my M3.  Further,
even though the OM is an SLR, what goes on when you press the shutter
release is remarkably stable and quiet.  That's what I don't like about the
FM, BTW.  It's loud and clunky in the mirror department, and with no MLU, I
don't trust it for the sharpest image possible.  Remember the differences
Gary gets when he tests lenses with the -4?  I'll bet the difference between
tests made with the same lens on the FM and the F3 w/MLU would be equally
revealing.  I don't feel uncomfortable hand holding my OM's at 1/60.  With
my Leica tabletop/chestpod, I feel confident at 1/30.  And that's pretty
good for a guy of my age with unsteady hands.
JP