Re: [OM] shutter speed ring origin?

Subject: Re: [OM] shutter speed ring origin?
From: rdk@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:13:21 +0200

The info can be found at
http://members.nbci.com/maitani_fan/om_concept.html
and further
http://members.nbci.com/maitani_fan/om_1.html

Regards, Roger Key

"Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> on 19-10-2000 01:52:47

Please respond to olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To:   olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc:    (bcc: Roger D. Key/Dan Net)

> ...Somewhere in the OM Webring is the answer to Dirk's question regarding
> placement of the shutter speed ring - it had something to do with making
the
> OM body as small as possible...

It's on the Unofficial Maitani site I think.

An advantage to it being there is that you have an in-line visual connection
between speed and aperture combinations, not as directly as on the 'tween
lens shutters of the Retina Reflex and the Zeiss Contaflex, which were often
EV coupled, but better than with those models with the twirly wheels on
top - except when, in pre-ttl metering days, they had exposure meters
coupled to them.

The OM-1 wasn't the first focal plane s.l.r. to have its speed dial around
the lens mount. It's sad to admit that the Nikkormat FT was so equipped
several years earlier.

Regards,
Keith Berry