Re: [OM] shutter speed ring origin?

Subject: Re: [OM] shutter speed ring origin?
From: rdk@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:14:45 +0200

The info can be found at
http://members.nbci.com/maitani_fan/om_concept.html
and further
http://members.nbci.com/maitani_fan/om_1.html

The text:

Shrinking the camera

By 1967, the design of a SLR was considered to be perfect.
It was deemed impossible to make a SLR smaller. Nevertheless,
 in order to to tackle the problem, Maitani decided to go
 back to the basic. Putting aside the general concept of a
 camera construction, Maitani studied every function of a SLR
 from a new view point and re-designed every structural element.
For example, the shutter speed ring is located on the lens mount.
 In a conventional SLR,the shutter winding drum is placed near
 the film winding lever axis, and the shutter speed dial is
 placed on it. In an attempt to reduce the camera size, the
 design team tried to make the shutter drum thiner. But the
 thinner drum is not reliable enough. There is a tiny space
 beneath the mirror box that is not utilized in a conventional
 SLR. In the OM-1, the high speed shutter control section
 which is normally located on the side of the viewfinder) is put
 under the mirror box together with the low speed shutter control
 section. As a result, the shutter speed ring is placed on the
 lens mount. By slightly altering the layout of other mechanical
 sections, and without any reduction in the size of the components,
 it is possible to achieve a considerable gain in compactness.

Regards, Roger Key