Re: [OM] Of Spotmatics and Olys

Subject: Re: [OM] Of Spotmatics and Olys
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 13:42:48 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 19 Oct 2000 18:18, Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>OK, let's put some historical perspective into this.
>>
>>Asahi (the maker of the Pentax cameras) produced the
>>first Japanese SLR in 1954.

>No - Asahiflex (WLF) - 1952 -
>http://www.concentric.net/~sherfy/special1.html

>>Asahi went on to put the first pentaprism into an
>>SLR in 1957 (the first Pentax).

>No - Miranda Orion, 1956 -
>http://cameraquest.com/orion.htm

>>The Asahi Spotmatic was the world's first SLR with
>>TTL metering (originally intended to be a spot meter,
>>hence the name Spotmatic, but an averaging meter
>>went into production) produced in 1964.

>No - first TTL - Topcon RE Super -
>http://www.kte.nl/~pjonkman/cameras.htm

Hmmmm.....  This is interesting.  Someone is not telling
the truth somewhere.  But, in case you didn't figure it
out, Asahiflex is a product of Asahi (the maker of the
Pentax cameras).  So I think we are in agreement on the
first point -- except for the dates.

Obviously you did a lot more research than I did, I only
looked at the Pentax web site and foolish me, I believe
that they knew something about their own company history.
Someone should notify Pentax that the claims in their
web site are "bald face lies" because that is what they
(Pentax/Asahi) claimed at:
http://www.pentax.com/worldfirst.html

I am especially sprprised that they didn't know the
dates of their own product innovations.  Hmmm....  But
wait, that is an English web site, they may have
translated it all wrong.  So let's go to the source:
http://www.pentax.co.jp/japan/p_menu/index.html
and see what they claim there --- Oooo, they also clain
the same dates for the same events.

Oh well, I guess you just can't trust those Pentax
people to tell the truth. :-).  No big deal.
        -Dan