Re: [OM] Of Spotmatics and Olys

Subject: Re: [OM] Of Spotmatics and Olys
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 23:06:52 GMT
A personal perspective regarding 35mm SLRs in use around 1970. I was a wee lad of 13 but a serious photographer of 5 years experience by then. My stepdad was a New York film producer and let me tag along on shoots and editing sessions because I was well-behaved. Sometimes he even let me do the stills, tho' most of the time he had to hire pros (union rules).

As I recall most pros used Nikons - by a very wide margin. Second were Spotmatics - that's the SLR I cut my teeth on, courtesy of Phil, a patient mentor who let me use his around his house and backyard. Third was everything else, a grab bag of Topcons, Minoltas, Mamiya-Sekors, Petris and, yes, Olympus half-frames - which I thought were ultra-cool. I honestly don't remember seeing a single pro using a Canon until a few years later. Not that they weren't, of course - I just don't recall seeing 'em.

At the time the Spotmatic was very definitely considered a pro camera in every regard. Sure, the compactness that included TTL metering was a plus for folks who didn't like the size and weight of Nikons. But even back then I remember pros debating the qualities of lenses and expressing very differing preferences. So, yep, the Pentax glass and system were important factors. And even Nikonistas used those massive Honeywell grip flash units.

Then, as now, most pros carried more than one body. Spotmatic shooters regarded quick lens changes as irrelevant. One body wore a wide angle or normal lens; the other body wore a tele. I seldom saw Nikonistas needing rapid lens changes - back then pros somehow managed to squeak by with fewer lenses than many amateurs own today.

So, what's all this prove? Olympus took a good look at the real world of 35mm SLR usage and hit the nail on the head with the OM-1 - everything the Spotmatic offered in an even smaller package, and less costly than a Nikon. Canon stuttered around with the always impressive but expensive F1, but its less expensive bodies were larger and heavier. By the time they introduced the AE-1 and the most impressive marketing campaign in 35mm history, they appeared to have settled on the prosumer (hate that term) niche and have clung on fiercely ever since 'til introducing the EOS line. I jumped on the Canon FD line starting in college during the early '80s 'cause that's what students could afford.

But in 1970 I jumped the gun and bought a Miranda Sensorex. Great camera but a flop. If I'd just waited for the OM-1 I might have been a Zuikoholic for going on 30 years now.

At a recent camera show I saw an EX+ Sensorex with normal lens in perfect working condition. Fellow was asking $150. I really studied on that one for a few minutes. Then I looked at the OM-1 in my bag and said..."Nah!" Never look back.