Re: [OM] OM-2n 'off' shutter speed.

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2n 'off' shutter speed.
From: "Paul Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 11:01:28 -0500 (CDT)

> Greetings,
>
> I recently purchased an OM-2n from a lista and noticed that with the film
> advanced to the next frame and the camera 'off' the shutter will still
> release.  This is a nice feature so that I will be able to shoot with dead
> batteries in the winter.  Since I have no users' manual I have been
> wondering if anyone knows the shutter speed the camera chooses with the
> camera off?
>
> --
> Mark Thalman, markt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Computers! All they think of is HEX!

You still need a battery. Apparently the mirror release is mechanical.
When the mirror flies up, it turns on the metering for an OTF auto
exposure. So the camera is always "live". The shutter speed is limited,
though, to 1/60, I think, to prevent battery discharge from long OTF
exposures in the camera bag. The occasional wasted frame is held to
be a trade-off for not missing shots you do want.

If there is no battery, the mirror goes up, and everything stops.
"B" is all mechanical. Once I took most of a workplace picnic by using
B and small apertures! The 4s have a 1/60 mechanical speed, but it
won't fire the flash, which is electronically switched.

Paul