Re: [OM] Least Useful/Used Oly Piece

Subject: Re: [OM] Least Useful/Used Oly Piece
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 06:41:09 GMT
I don't have that much OM gear. But whenever I've been struck by that feeling of "Why did I buy this?" I almost immediately sell it or swap it for something different. (A Canon T50 was like that - an oversized P&S disguised as an SLR. Okay, actually I bought it for my mom to use so she could borrow my lenses, but she's too nearsighted to focus manually, so now she has an iS-2.)

But if I owned a 100mm prime, it would qualify. Tried 'em, used 'em regularly at work, never felt compelled to own one. I prefer the little bit of extra magnification and/or subject distance the 135mm allows. I'll bet we could drag out a mighty debate over the "perfect portrait lens" dead horse.

I also suspect that if I owned a 500mm or longer telephoto it would soon qualify after the novelty wore off. There's no substitute for getting closer, and I note most top nature photographers manage with teles shorter than 500mm.

And I keep thinking a 1-10 grid screen would be useful.  Then I wonder why.

Lessee, what else? Oh, yeh...complicated flash gear. I guess I'm just too thickskulled to understand much more than a clip-on flash. Ever since I figured out the walk-back-zoom-in method of fill flash, I'm not sure I even want to understand TTL flash.