Re: [OM] Olympus L-1, L-2, L-3?

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus L-1, L-2, L-3?
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 13:15:20 +0200
: I note that KEH lists an L-series version of the iS-series.  They refer to
: these as the "international" version, as distinguished from the American
and
: Euro versions.
: Question: what are the differences, if any, between them?  I know the
: iS-3000 features high-speed flash sync, absent from the US version iS-3.
: How 'bout the L-3?

As can be seen on Oly's Master Site http://www.olympus.com/ Olympus divides
the world into three supercontinents. Pangea, uhm I mean "Europe-Africa",
"Asia-Oceania" & "The Americas". Sort of like a simplified board for the
Risk Game where we, poor Zuiks, are pushed like pawns from Zuikshop to
Zuikshop ;)

The version of this camera for Europe-Africa is the iS-3000, the version for
Asia-Oceania is the L-3, the version for The Americas is the iS-3 DLX. To
Americans I guess both the iS-3000 and the L-3 can be called
'international'.

Of course the L-3 features Super FP high-speed flash synch, just like
iS-3000. After all it is the model for Oly's Home Country (Japan), so they
won't strip that model down. It doesn't even require a course of Japanese to
read that is has Super FP on:
http://www.olympus.co.jp/LineUp/Camera/Lsrs/l3top.html

The fact that the L-3 is now available in the US definitely means the
copyright problems that made them strip this feature from the iS-3 are now
solved. We already knew that, since the iS-30 has Super FP just like the
iS-300 and L-30.

The only question to me remains: to whom must Oly pay copyrights for the
built-in Panorama Mode of the iS/L-20 and iS/L-30 that has been stripped
from the Eurafrican iS-200 and iS-300 models? Or is there something else
behind this decision, like a difference in capabilities of print processing
machines? Aren't the European machines able to automatically recognise
panorama masked negatives and output them in larger panorama prints in rolls
with mixed masking/non-masking?

hnz - C.I.N. (Certified iS/L/OM Nut)
The iS/L/Centurion Page
http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/veluwen/om-sif/is-series/is-series.htm