Re: [OM] Perfect portrait lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Perfect portrait lens
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 23:18:29 GMT
No disagreements at all, Mike. Some of my favorite family pix and even a few modeling session shots were done with wide angles. As you said, I like the ability to establish the people within their surroundings. It's also advantageous because I can catch camera-shy folks being relaxed because the camera does not appear to be pointed at them. It just takes a bit of care to avoid the extreme distortion that occurs at the edges of the frame, altho' sometimes I like that as well. Dunno whether my 'victims' do, tho'.

In a modeling session I used a 35mm WA from a low position to emphasize the model's hips and exposed tummy with pierced navel. Since she was very petite the photos didn't look particularly exaggerated.

I usually try to choose a lens that suits the subject. Some folks are comfortable when I'm close, some aren't. That's why I believe the 135mm was an early standard moderate telephoto. It allowed enough distance for the subject to be comfortable, while not requiring so much distance that the subject became disconnected. I've seen photos of models taken with teles in the 200mm-500mm length (35mm format) and the subjects look rather detached. Perhaps that's what the photographer wanted. But I think models like - even need - a connection with the photographer, which is established by distance, not focal length.

Like you I've long considered adding one of those Fuji RFs to my arsenal. I handled one of the 6x7 fixed lens versions (can't recall the model number) at a recent camera show and really liked it. Largish but lightweight, while sturdy. Very simple to operate. Since my probable use would be landscapes I might go for the 6x9, but who knows. A 6x7 RF would also make a great portrait camera for occasional studio work. I don't know why more pros don't use 'em.

Back to Olympus gear, some of the listfolk photos I've seen have persuaded me that perhaps the best all-around portrait lens is either the 50/1.2 or 55/1.2.