Re: [OM] Perfect portrait lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Perfect portrait lens
From: "Gary Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 20:10:52 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Lex Jenkins <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
.....I've seen photos of models taken with teles in
> the 200mm-500mm length (35mm format) and the subjects look rather
detached.
> Perhaps that's what the photographer wanted.  But I think models like -
even
> need - a connection with the photographer, which is established by
distance,
> not focal length.

I'll take an 85, a 180 or even a 300 any day for portraits over my
wide-angles.  I offer http://members.home.com/garyetx/sherril.htm   as a
non-detached example.  Lex, we were definately connected - but some would
conclude that I was afraid to get any closer. <g>

I agree that properly done, wide angle portraiture can be dramatic or at
least appropriate.  I just don't do it.

A favorite trick of the "investigative reporters" on TV - shoot the victim
in flattering light with a moderate telephoto setting on the zoom, then
chase the dastardly landlord, philandering school board member, or whomever
into someplace lit only by an on-camera glare-light with the zoom set to an
angle of regard roughly equivalent to a 21 mm lens and stick it in their
face.  Watch for it next time on your local news - they aren't subtle about
it.

Gary Edwards