Re: [OM] Perfect portrait lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Perfect portrait lens
From: "Mickey Trageser" <mickeytr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 11:00:19 -0400
Gary,
Oh dear. I didn't realize I was treading on hallowed soil. I'd best be
careful.

OK, listen up. It's Sunday and I need a preacher. What is this thing called
Bokeh? (and how does one pronounce it?)

I've observed the following:
1. It seems to be a focus on the out-of-focus.
2. It seems that the out-of-focus can be judged on composition, even where
there is no form.
3. It also seems that the out-of-focus is yet another compelling quality of
expensive glass.
4. The out-of-focus can contribute to the in-focus composition.
5. The out-of-focus can provide a secondary subject which might actually be
studied more than the supposed primary subject.

I've also noticed on the tope that there is a wide variety of uses of the
out-of-focus. It's used to create color dreams. It's used to enhance the
subject. It's used as an alternate subject. But is this an art in itself?

I'm sure there must be something I'm missing. I don't get feng shiu
either.... Please don't cast any spells on me or my oly gear. I seek
enlightenment

Mickey